Refinery Window Installation Project
Call for proposals
Arts Council Nelson [ACN] is making the large display window of the Refinery ArtSpace on Hardy Street available for six creative installations, each to be displayed for two months duration, and now call for proposals.
The project aims to provide a street-side arts experience for all, particularly for those that may rarely set foot inside an art gallery.
The project is open to all comers: ACN hopes to attract a range of artists from our communities to create a diverse programme which will challenge, entertain and/or delight the public over a twelve-month period. Preference will be given to installation proposals which are visually effective in both daylight and darkness. This is not an opportunity to simply display artworks, rather to create something specifically for the space. There is no set brief, so ACN is excited to see what ideas our fabulous creatives come up with.
Thanks to funding assistance through the Nelson City Creative Communities Scheme, ACN is able to offer the six selected proposals $300 per installation as an artist fee and to cover the cost of materials.
The Deadline for Proposals is Friday 5th March 2021.
Proposals will be installed between late April 2021 and programmed through to July 2022.
About the Space:
Situated on the South side of Hardy Street facing North, the window receives afternoon sun. Fitted spotlights can be used to illuminate the space as required and there is an accessible power supply in the space.
Dimensions: 4000mm (wide) x 1450mm (deep) x 1900mm (window height).
The space has physical access via an interior movable rear wall and has good depth for free standing, kinetic and/or suspended works.
Do not hesitate to contact ACN should you have any queries regarding this project.
Terms and Conditions:
- Open to all artists/creatives residing in the Top of the South
- Artists may submit multiple proposals. Please use a separate Proposal Form for each submission. Forms may be downloaded below.
- Both individual and/or collaborative proposals are welcomed. Please note that the $300 fee is per installation so this would be shared on collaborative proposals.
- The Deadline for Proposals is Friday 5th March 2021. Late entries will not be considered. Submitters will be notified on the outcome of the selection process by 31st March 2021.
- Arts Council Nelson [ACN] will manage the selection process. In order to create a diverse programme , selectors will choose a range of differing proposals that will collectively challenge, interest, entertain and/or delight the public. Decisions will be final and ACN reserve the right not to enter correspondence regarding outcomes. ACN shall schedule the programme of two-month installations in liaison with the selected artists.
- ACN will project manage all aspects of the programme and promote the displays throughout the year. Participants submit proposals in the understanding that ACN may use images of the work for promotional and reporting purposes.
- Responsibility for insuring installations falls on the selected artists. Given the secure site ACN do not anticipate any issues; however, whilst ACN will take all reasonable steps to safeguard the work on site, it cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage that may occur.
- Proposal payments will be negotiated with selected artists upon confirmation. Partial pre-payment may be agreed to enable the purchase of required materials/equipment.
- Install/de-install responsibilities. The selected artists will be expected to install the and de-install the work on-site at a suitably arranged time. ACN staff are available to assist/advise as required. ACN Health and Safety procedures must be adhered to throughout set-up and take-down.
- In the unlikely event that insufficient or suitable proposals are received ACN reserves the right to make further calls for expressions of interest until the 12-month programme is complete.